Project title: Revamping organic farming and its products in the context of climate change mitigation strategies
Duration: 01/09/2015 – 31/08/2019
Total project budget: 975,951 Euro
EU financial contribution: 58.21%
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Develop a strategic national plan of mitigating climate change in agriculture through the advancement of organic farming and their products within the Cypriot economy.
- Demonstrate the comparative performance of organic production using a series of climate mitigation indicators in the field.
- Demonstrate comparative advantages of selected organic products in decreasing the body burden of organophosphate pesticides in children.
- Tailor organic farming protocols (apples and barley) of major importance for Cyprus agriculture to the local farm(er) characteristics.
- Organize the efficient transfer of the results via networking with the scientific community, stakeholders and general public in both Cyprus and Italy.
- Evaluate the current situation in Cyprus (before and during project implementation) regarding technical stakeholders’ bottlenecks and consumer perceptions).